Simonton triple pane vs double pane

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
hopeful

Simonton triple pane vs double pane

#1 Post by hopeful »

I have been looking at replacing two South facing double hungs. I believe I'll probably go Simonton's 5500 Reflections. I live in West Michigan and winters here can be pretty brutal and summers, well, just too short. At first I thought triple pane with grids for the south of house but found out they're only available with Superspacer. I looked at the superspacer in the showroom and I have two concerns: 1. Can it keep the grids in place and 2. Will the spacer itself droop (it looks pretty flimsy imo and the building supply person indicated he had seen that happen with the superspacer). I could go to the newer Supercept spacer (stainless steel) but I'd also have to drop to dual pane instead of triple to be able to have grids. Supercepts brochure says specifically it has grid connectors to keep the grid place.

What would your recommendation be in this situation?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Simonton triple pane vs double pane

#2 Post by masterext »

I also prefer a true stainless over super spacer. Are you sure you cannot get grids with triple
Pane, I'm almost certain you could with simonton. Supercept does indeed have grid connectors. Although I prefer other window brands to simonton, you may consider the 9800 series.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

There have been some reported issues with grid alignment in Super Spacer equip windows but the numbers are small and warrantable (as are the potential droop issues).

hopeful

#4 Post by hopeful »

To Masterext

I just received a response from Simonton today and this is the exact quote:

Can you please tell me if the Reflections 5500 series (double hung) is available with grids AND triple pane AND the Supercept spacer. If not the 5500, do any of your windows allow all three?

Also, when might you update your site to include energy ratings with the Supercept?

Answer: We can make the 5500 DH with triple pane, sculptured grid, and Super Spacer, not Supercept. Both spacers provide the same thermal efficiency though.
Thank you,
Simonton Windows Consumer Service
1-800-746-6686[/b][/color]I received no response as to the energy ratings with the Supercept spacer or whether any of their other lines (other than 5500) have these three options available.

Any opinions on why Simonton doesn't make the triple pane with Supercept or why they haven't published (at least for the public) their energy ratings with the Supercept spacer?

EcoStar Remodeling

#5 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Simontons non Super Spacer default is Supercept. Those are the only 2 spacers they use. Triple pane is only available with Super Spacer.
Last edited by EcoStar Remodeling on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

i know other companies that use ultracept/supercept and they can accomodate triple pane. is this just simonton specific?

EcoStar Remodeling

#7 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Sorry, I worded that poorly. These are Simontons Glass Package offering

http://www.amcraft.com/PDFs/GE_Prem_Plus_glass.pdf

masterext

#8 Post by masterext »

I know Polaris offers supercept/ultracept on their Ultra series in triple pane . Sunrise also offers triple in stainless.
Interesting that simonton offers krypton in double pane..don't see the advantage especially with such a wide space. You're paying an arm and a leg for krypton gas but not really reaping the benefits due to it being a 1" IG.